Saturday, February 9, 2013

EVALUATING IMPACTS ON PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE


As adults we play a major role in a child’s social interactions with other.  It is critical for us to be aware of own actions, so that we will not have a negative impact on a child’s social’, emotional, and cognitive growth.  We also play a significant role in helping young children form their own social identities. I believe that if I was experiencing racism from others who were being prejudice toward me then it would hurt.  I believe that if I took these personal problems to work then my problems will definitely impact the child’s well -being. For example, if a parent was being prejudice toward me, and I had to deal with a classroom of children, I am pretty sure the children would sense my mood. My behavior and attitude could have an impact on how the children treat each other and how they would respond to me.   “Ism” can have a negative impact on a child’s development.  By me being their teacher and their role model, then they would begin to struggle with their own social skills with other races and cultures.  They would struggle with their cognitive development because they would begin to question why people are mean to each other, because they are different.  They would show emotional conflicts if they see I am upset because of someone being prejudice toward me. I am hoping that I do not have to encounter an “ism” or prejudice or a stereotype within my own personal life, because I do not want to have a negative influence on a child’s developmental outcome or a relationship with a parent.  Therefore, by being prepared to be anti-bias teacher and create an anti-bias educational setting, I am hoping that I can deal with bias issues in an educational setting, furthermore be able to keep my personal insights and feelings of how others feel toward me out of the classroom.  My goal is to maintain a professional attitude at all times.  If I am positive, then a child a child will thrive.  If I am negative, then a child may struggle in one of their developmental domains.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tamieka! I agree that sometimes children can sense our moods and are negatively affected. Any prejudice that I have experienced in my personal life will be used as a teachable moment for children to treat others with respect. However, I would not bring a negative attitude into the classroom as this may rub off on the students that I am working with. You have provided some wonderful insights into how teachers' moods can negatively affect children's social, emotional and cognitive growth. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that children are aware of our moods even when we think we are doing a good job of covering up how we are feeling. I agree with Tiffany that our personal experiences with any type of prejudice can be used as teachable moments because after all we did learn something from them why not share with others to prevent it from happening again. We need to do everything we can not to negatively impact the children's development in any area. We are there to promote their growth not dwell on an injustice that we have had in our personal life.

    ReplyDelete